The Elizabeth Fire Rescue is pleased to offer courtesy inspections of child safety seats and booster seats for families that live or work in our fire district on the third Wednesday of the month.
Schedule an Inspection
A car seat inspection will take up to 30 minutes per car seat. If you have two or more car seats OR one car seat to be fitted into two cars, please book two appointments using the link below.
Best Car Seat
The best car seat to purchase is one that fits your car and your child the best.
- Does the seat fit your child? If you have a thin, tall child you are going to want a seat that has a higher height limit.
- Does it fit your car? If you have three car seats to fit into the back seat, you may need to be looking for a narrower car seat.
- Will your child sit in the seat? With an older child, do they think the seat is cool and did they get to help pick it out?
If your car seat has been involved in a major or moderate crash, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recommends that you replace the child's car seat. If your car was involved in a minor crash (little exterior or interior damage), the car seat does not need to be replaced if all of the following criteria are met:
- The vehicle was able to be driven away
- The vehicle door nearest the car seat was undamaged
- There were no injuries to any of the vehicle occupants
- The airbags did not deploy
- There is no visible damage to the car seat
Car Seat Law
Summary of Colorado Child Restraint Laws.
It is the driver’s responsibility to ensure that child passengers are properly buckled up in the appropriate restraint on every trip.
After his or her eight birthday, your child no longer has to use his or her booster seat by law. The Elizabeth Fire Rescue recommends that proper seat belt fit is achieved when the child meets the Five-Step Test.
Safety Seat Recalls
Check to see if your safety seat has been recalled.
Safety Seat Expiration
Remember that car restraints expire after six years unless otherwise stated. Do not buy a used child restraint unless it is from a trusted source that knows the restraint's history.
If there are any questions, please schedule a car seat inspection. One of our technicians will gladly check your car seat or booster and how your child fits the seat.